MiVB virtual

Home Forums Unified Communications MiVoice Business MiVB virtual

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Wiblishouser 9 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Oleg Pushin
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Have a question regarding MiVB virtual. Frankly speaking I have never worked with this call manager, haven`t even seen it. Have a potential customer now, whom we want to propose MiVB as a communication platform for hotel. About 400 extension and 60 SIP dect terminals are planned to be used. Regarding customer requirements system need to have server and media gateway redundancy. MiVB is supposed to be deployed in VmWare environment on two different hosts. As far as I understood from the manual, MiVB has a native resiliency mechanism besides VmWare HA, which is expensive. First question is – do we need a special license for server redundancy or this lisence MiVoice Business Virtual for Enterprise 54005748 is enough?

Customer is going to have two PRI links, one per service provider for redundancy. So we need two 3300, which will work as TDM – SIP gateway only. The thing which I can`t understand is how MiVB as call manager works with these gateways, does it control them via MGCP/MEGACO or proprietary protocol, like MXONE control MGU. Or maybe there is just sip trunks are needed between MiVB cluster and 3300?

When you license a MiVoice Business as Enterprise all your licensing gives you the ability to create a redundant environment. The MiVoice Business has a proprietary communication between the systems. It’s amazing to see the phones fail over to the other controller without even dropping a call. The only issue I see is that is a hotel and if they have analog sets there is no fail over for these devices, only IP of course.

Oleg Pushin
    Participant

Hello Michael!
    Thanks for your answer.
    Sounds great about “seamless” fail over of IP phones. Does it depend on the model of IP phones or signalling protocol, I mean MiNET or SIP?

And still have a question regarding 3300 if they are used as trunk gateways. Does MiVB controls them or they exist by themselves somehow? I mean what will happen in case of one of the gateways power off for example, will the calls to PSTN be forwarded to another gateway. Or if the primary MiVB server is out of service for some reason, will the calls towards PSTN be distributed&? And another question is, as far as I understood from the documentation, if virtual deployment of MiVB is used then “MiVoice Business Virtual has the following characteristics: ∙ includes Media Server functionality such as conferencing, music on hold, and group paging.” What about hardware media resources that are located on 3300 are they also used or not?

Here is some information on SIP Devices fail over.

RESILIENT SIP DEVICE BEHAVIOR
    Each time a SIP device registers with either its primary MiVoice Business system or its
    secondary system, the system transfers the registration information, consisting of the Address
    of Record, Contact, and registration refresh timeout (Expires) parameters.
    SIP endpoint devices support resiliency performance to varying degrees and it is therefore
    useful to classify them based on the resiliency performance level they offer. Mitel classifies SIP
    device resiliency based on the following performance levels:
    • Devices that use DNS Lookup (Bronze level): Most SIP devices in this level achieve resiliency using Domain Name Servers (DNS) that support multiple IP addresses against a
    single Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).
    • Partner devices (Silver level): SIP devices in this level can be programmed to recognize
    the difference between two potential servers and can switch between them if a SIP REGISTER, INVITE, or SUBSCRIBE request times out.
    • Partner devices that support OPTIONS requests (Gold level): SIP devices in this level are
    programmed to switch to the alternate server if a SIP REGISTER, INVITE, SUBSCRIBE,
    or OPTIONS request times out. This feature provides significantly faster failure detection
    by the device and therefore faster failover to the secondary system.
    • Partner devices that support the P-Alternate-Server SIP header (Platinum level): SIP devices in this level support the Mitel proprietary P-Alternate-Server SIP header in 200 OK
    or 301 Moved Permanently responses. The header includes data designating the potential
    servers and which server the device must use.

If a MiVoice Border Gateway fails it depends on the SIP trunk provider on whether the SIP calls will go to another MBG. I would recommend downloading a copy of the Mitel MiVoice Business RESILIENCY GUIDELINES, this is a great document that walks through the entire process.

Oleg Pushin
    Participant

Michael, thank you very much for your assistance. Understood regarding SIP devices. About gateways, there won`t be MBGs in this scheme, connection to service provider is via E1 trunk with PRI signalling. So, there will be two 3300 CX II with T1/E1 Combo MMC II in each one and they will be used as trunk gateways only, all sip endpoints will register on virtual cluster. I have found another good document called “Mitel Voice Cluster Design and Implementation, Rls 9.0”. There is almost mine scheme on page 27. Here adopted scheme https://yadi.sk/i/pTz1u5ODqTjDew. Do I correctly understand that all licenses (including the major one “MiVoice Business Virtual for Enterprise 54005748”) and license “MiVoice Business License – Digital Link 54000303” to PRI trunks, end user licenses “MiVoice Bus License – Enterprise User 54004975
    “, must be applied to Virtual Primary Node only? The thing i still cannot understand is: what signalling is used between Virtual Nodes and hardware 3300 CX II, is additional license required for internal links?

Oleg Pushin
    Participant

Seems that internal IP trunk are set up using ARS Direct IP Route. Am I right? If yes, do these trunks require license?

Each controller will have a MiVoice Business base software, and you can apply user licenses to each of the controllers for load balancing. Then you can configure redundancy of the extensions to fail over to other controller if one should fail. If you had two CX controllers with T1/Combo cards for resiliency you would need to apply a digital link licence to each controller. When you cluster the controllers there is not a requirement for any trunk licensing between controllers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.